User Name:

Password:

Lost Password?  |  Forgot Username?  |  New User
NEWS HEADLINES [
U.S. concerned over rushed resettlement of Sri Lanka's IDPs Rs. 500,000 cash award for information on assailant of Sri Lanka's judiciary official Future Sri Lanka, India naval exercises away from southern states Sri Lankan court takes up petitions filed against controversial piece of legislation MOSQUITO BREEDING ACT TO BE AMENDED, FINES TO BE INCREASED
]
HOT NEWS
PLAY LIST
Mihila Motors Mihila TV Mihila Motors Mihila TV Mihila Motors
Donald, Westwood carry home hopes at British Open
This file photo shows a general view of spectators watching British Open Golf Championship at Royal Lytham & St Annes course. More than ever the pressure will be on Englishmen Luke Donald and Lee Westwood when the tournament gets underway at the venue next Thursday. (AFP Photo/Martin Hayhow)

More than ever the pressure will be on Englishmen Luke Donaldand Lee Westwood when the British Open gets underway at Royal Lytham and St Annes next Thursday.

The world No.1 and world No.3 have yet to win a single Major title between them and both are increasingly burdened with their failures as each of the year's four Grand Slam tournaments pass them by.

This time they head to the classic Lancashire links course south of Blackpool in the knowledge that no Englishman has won the Open since Nick Faldo at Muirfield, Scotland in 1992.

No Englishman has won the Open on English soil since Tony Jacklin at Lytham in 1969.

So the pressure is there and Donald for one believes that if he wants to get over that final hurdle he needs to deal with the stress, relax and try to enjoy himself.

Talking of his approach to the Majors he said: "I've realized that I do get a little bit more anxious, a little bit more uptight and I've gotta try and control that, and that's going to kind of be the priority, go out there and try to play with a little bit more freedom, a little bit more fun, and hopefully that's the key to getting off to a better start.

"And once I get off to a better start, I feel like I'm going to be there and have a chance."

So far this year, despite being ranked first in the world for most of the time, Donald's chances at the Majors have been non-existent finishing in a tie for 32nd at The Masters and missing the cut at the US Open.

The same cannot be said for Westwood who came agonisingly close to a first Major title yet again with a tie for third at The Masters and a tie for 10th at the US Open. He now has eight top 10 finishes in the last 12 Majors.

Westwood's chances looked to have taken a blow at the French Open last week when he strained knee and groin muscles while slipping on the way to tee off in the third round.

He was not entered for this week's Scottish Open at Castle Stuart where Donald is the defending champion, seeking help from his physio instead.

The English challenge to match Faldo will also come from in-form world No.9 Justin Rose and Ian Poulter who was runner-up to Padraig Harrington at nearby Royal Birkdale in 2008.

The opposition though will be formidable.

From Ireland come defending champion Darren Clarke, winner in 2007 and 2008 Harrington, world No.2 Rory McIlroy and 2010 US Open winner Graeme McDowell.

South Africa have 2010 Open champion Louis Oosthuizen, 2011 Masters champion Charl Schwartzel and 2002 Open champion Ernie Els.

Els has been showing signs of getting back to near his best in recent weeks, including a late run at the US Open in San Francisco and at 42 he knows that time is beginning to count against him.

"I was only talking with my caddy the other day that it's been 10 years since I won at Muirfield, and it's been unbelievable," said Els at Castle Stuart.

"I've had chances with '04 coming to mind, also '06 and '07.

"But then there were times I doubted that I would get back to winning another Major. I played well in last month's US Open (finished 9th) and I felt very in control and calm, and I just let my game do the work and like I used to.

"So that's the positive I'm talking about that I really felt mentally and physically very at ease for once, which I haven't felt that way for months."

Then of course there will be the US challenge with Americans having won the last two times the Open was held at Lytham through Tom Lehman in 1996 and David Duval in 2001.

Tiger Woods will once again be the bookies favourite to win what would be for him a fourth British Open after St Andrews (2000 and 2005) and Hoylake (2006), the latter being a course close to and similar to Lytham.

US veterans Jim Furyk and Steve Stricker will also be closely watched as will be the young brigade of Rickie Fowler, Keegan Bradley, Bubba Watson, Hunter Mahan and Matt Kuchnar.

There will, however be no US/British Open double as Webb Simpson, who won at San Francisco's Olympic Club in June has opted out to be with his wife who is expecting the couple's second child.

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 @ 13:50:28 JST by admin

Printer Friendly

"Donald, Westwood carry home hopes at British Open" | Login or Create an Account | 27 comments The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.

No Comments Allowed for Anonymous, please register

JHON (Score: 1)
by Adeenaluise on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 @ 21:18:51 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this.. Houston Rental [www.carbonautogroup.com]

JHON (Score: 1)
by Adeenaluise on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 @ 22:39:03 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
Impressive web site, Distinguished feedback that I can tackle. Im moving forward and may apply to my current job as a pet sitter, which is very enjoyable, but I need to additional expand. Regards. Denver SEO consulting

Re: Donald, Westwood carry home hopes at British Open (Score: 1)
by alexkhan on Thursday, February 16, 2017 @ 22:21:42 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
Thanks for sharing the post.. parents are worlds best person in each lives of individual..they need or must succeed to sustain needs of the family. Mental health awareness [thehalsteadhermit.blogspot.co.uk"]

Re: Donald, Westwood carry home hopes at British Open (Score: 1)
by alexkhan on Thursday, February 16, 2017 @ 23:46:05 JST
Thanks for sharing us. Condos for sale Thailand

Re: Donald, Westwood carry home hopes at British Open (Score: 1)
by alexkhan on Thursday, February 16, 2017 @ 23:54:54 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Please share more like that... Condos for sale Thailand

ANALISYA (Score: 1)
by Adeenaluise on Friday, February 17, 2017 @ 00:41:24 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing. hammaste valgendamine [www.professionalontheweb.com]

ANALISYA (Score: 1)
by Adeenaluise on Saturday, February 18, 2017 @ 18:30:46 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!.. nationaldebtreliefreviews.com [www.nationaldebtreliefreviews.com]

jhjon (Score: 1)
by Adeenaluise on Saturday, February 18, 2017 @ 23:13:30 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
sub bot youtube [freeyoutubesubscribers.net] howdy, your websites are really good. I appreciate your work. get more youtube views free [freeyoutubesubscribers.net]

ANITAVROM (Score: 1)
by Adeenaluise on Sunday, February 19, 2017 @ 18:14:32 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!.. fix computer delray beach [netstf.com]

ANISA (Score: 1)
by Adeenaluise on Sunday, February 19, 2017 @ 23:33:59 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. cccam server [www.sat-gold.com]

jimmyshel (Score: 1)
by Adeenaluise on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 @ 00:45:07 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious... anunturi uk

CARLOSANGLES (Score: 1)
by Adeenaluise on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 @ 00:48:16 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
This article was written by a real thinking writer. I agree many of the with the solid points made by the writer. I’ll be back. klinik kecantikan queen

Re: Donald, Westwood carry home hopes at British Open (Score: 1)
by alexkhan on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 @ 16:42:37 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. car injury lawyer [drakelawgroup.com]

David (Score: 1)
by davidqq on Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 16:57:31 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
Rapidly this kind of fantastic web site will surely unquestionably often be well-known amongst many creating any website people, for your meticulous articles along with testimonies. lash bar [www.eyelashrepublic.com]

ONITA (Score: 1)
by Adeenaluise on Sunday, February 26, 2017 @ 02:20:03 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
get free subscribers on youtube [freeyoutubesubscribers.net] This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. how to increase youtube views fast [freeyoutubesubscribers.net]

Nízkoenergetické zděné domy a dřevostavby na klíč - Zděné domy a (Score: 1)
by davidqq on Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 01:34:52 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
Společnost nabízí jedinečnou službu v podobě výhodného nastavení hypotečního úvěru. Konkrétně to pro zákazníka znamená, že každý rok může získat jednu hypoteční splátku zpět, a ještě si může v každém roce odečíst z daní částku rovnající se jedné průměrné měsíční splátce hypotéky. http://www.domy-drevostavby-na-klic.cz/katalog-projekty-rodinnych-domu-zdene-domy-drevostavby-na-klic [www.domy-drevostavby-na-klic.cz]

james (Score: 1)
by davidqq on Thursday, March 02, 2017 @ 18:10:10 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
Quickly your website can irrefutably acquire well known being among the most regarding submitting buyers, due to its thorough content articles or simply just essential critiques. ytmp3 [mp3milking.com]

David (Score: 1)
by davidqq on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 @ 23:12:35 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
I enjoy kinds very own post. It'll be respectable to get a single describe inside terms from the central and also chastity on this distinct essential specialized niche will probably be commonly knowledgeable. Buy cheap Adipex [www.ebay.com]

David (Score: 1)
by davidqq on Thursday, March 16, 2017 @ 20:15:11 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
I prefer the countless blogposts, My partner and i significantly enjoyed, I would like information regarding that, given that it is extremely great., Many thanks related to articulating. digitizing pictures for embroidery

David (Score: 1)
by davidqq on Monday, March 20, 2017 @ 15:48:29 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
Your site is extremely good, excellent operate... More than likely a lot of will certainly believe us regardless of whether they can't take time to show you. hotel furniture [www.wisanka.com"]

Re: Donald, Westwood carry home hopes at British Open (Score: 1)
by alexkhan on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 @ 18:02:36 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
I have a hard time describing my thoughts on content, but I really felt I should here. Your article is really great. I like the way you wrote this information. best seo package for wordpress [rankposition.co.uk"]

Re: Donald, Westwood carry home hopes at British Open (Score: 1)
by davidqq on Sunday, April 02, 2017 @ 05:25:38 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
There are lots of dissertation websites from the net dwell acquire unsurprisingly regarded from the internet websites. research papers for sale [cheapresearchpapers.top]

Re: Donald, Westwood carry home hopes at British Open (Score: 1)
by BrianCatalina on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 @ 21:10:08 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
I have a hard time describing my thoughts on content, but I really felt I should here. Your article is really great. I like the way you wrote this information. laptop recycling [berkshire-computer-recycling.co.uk"]

Re: Donald, Westwood carry home hopes at British Open (Score: 1)
by andyson on Thursday, April 06, 2017 @ 17:30:45 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
Besides Weaver, all other jurors AP was able to locate Wednesday either declined to comment or did not respond to messages. [url=http://cbcsandbox.com][color=#ecf3f7]บาคาร่าออนไลน์[/color][/url]

Re: Donald, Westwood carry home hopes at British Open (Score: 1)
by davidqq on Monday, April 10, 2017 @ 16:03:36 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
As i purchased with your blog site while positioning fascination purely a little bit little submits. Fulfilling technique for extended, We will be book-marking during a period attain forms finish happens further up. best cheap essay [cheapessaywriters.com]

John McCoy (Score: 1)
by Jenkins on Sunday, April 23, 2017 @ 19:38:45 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
I'm just seeking to models write-up. Its fantastic come across people today explain in words to the heart in combination with comprehension during this sizeable motif will likely be easily uncovered. fenster kaufen [www.fensterguru24.de]

Re: Donald, Westwood carry home hopes at British Open (Score: 1)
by tueyza on Monday, June 12, 2017 @ 18:48:12 JST
(User Info | Send a Message)
Greate article, keep moving. pattaya property [www.nationlinkproperty.com]

Article Rating

Average Score: 0
Votes: 0

Please take a second and vote for this article:

Excellent
Very Good
Good
Regular
Bad